Premium

Northern Ireland’s stalled power-sharing executive 'should be restored by mid-June'

Dating service
Britain's Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley (R) listens as Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney (L) speaks during a joint press conference at Stormont House on the Stormont Estate in Belfast on April 26, 2019.
Britain's Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley listens as Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney speaks during a joint press conference at Stormont House Credit:  AFP

Northern Ireland’s stalled power-sharing executive should aim to be restored by “mid-June” the Irish deputy prime minister has told The Telegraph as fresh talks open in Belfast today between the province’s five main parties.

The ambitious timetable was set out as the British and Irish governments sought to capitalise on some political momentum following the murder of the Londonderry journalist Lyra McKee by the New IRA last month.

The Northern Ireland executive has been shut down for more than two years, with senior civil servants running services as the politics of Northern Ireland continuing to polarise, leading to heightened sectarian tensions.

“There’s never a good time,” said Simon Coveney,...

To continue reading this article

Start a 30-day free trial for unlimited access to Premium articles

  • Unlimited access to Premium articles 
  • Subscriber-only events and experiences
  • Cancel any time

Free for 30 days

then only £2 per week

Save 25% with an annual subscription

Just £75 per year

 

Register for free and access one Premium article per week

Only subscribers have unlimited access to Premium articles.
Register for free to continue reading this article
Or unlock all Premium articles.
Free for 30 days, then just £1 per week